The Äußeres Burgtor, often referred too as the “Hero’s Gate,” is the outer castle gate for the magnificent Imperial Palace in Vienna’s central First District. Throughout history, it had served its purpose as a fortified defence of the palace, until it was destroyed by Napoleon’s army in 1806. Since then, Äußeres Burgtor has been rebuilt to what stands tall today, honouring and recognising the heroic struggle of Austria’s troops throughout time.